Blog Archive

Monday, June 23, 2008

Back again

So I haven't posted anything for more than 3 months maybe, again because of the things I had to do at home, at school, etc. But now that I have finished this year of painful and boring studying in my ... well lets just say that my school is shitty, I'm free to start on my projects again. Really, the worst part was, that I couldn't concentrate alot on my projects, although I surely did some neat things, like a PC remote control (well not controlling anything yet tbh), some mind boggling game, I even made a primitive oscilloscope. I'm desperately trying to learn how the USB works, so I'll pretty much concentrate on that during the vacation. But just to get a nice "kickstart" on things, I decided to make something fun and not that useful or complex. A Tesla Coil - a device I always wanted to posses since I first started playing Red Alert 1. Classics never die ;) I'm still playing that shit. So I spent 2 days to find the proper materials. I found a nice plastic tube 12" high, 2" wide, just the right size of around 750-900 turns of 28 gauge copper wire for the secondary coil, and 15 gauge for the primary, 10-12 turns with 4" diameter. I also found 3 ceramic 5nF 6kV capacitors which I'll connect in series for a maximum of 18kV rating. I also found two 4kV microwave oven HV transformers. Now... all I need is to setup the coil, tune it and in the end I'll make myself a nice HV lightning show. Oooh can't wait, if you have any suggestions about the tuning, please post them here, would really appreciate it! ;)

1 comment:

The Powerhead said...

I have a sneaky suspicion, that you will electrocute yourself. Start off with a small desktop one.